To be in compliance with privacy law and to assist us in administering the benefits and services provided by HEB Manitoba, we require your written consent to collect, use and disclose your personal information and personal health information.

The following questions and answers will provide you with more information about the authorizations. 

Privacy Issues and the General Authorization Form

Q: How is my privacy protected at HEB Manitoba?

A: Protecting our members' privacy has always been fundamental to the way we operate at HEB Manitoba. Since HEB Manitoba became subject to the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) in 2004, we have had a privacy officer dedicated to ensuring that HEB Manitoba complies with PIPEDA and to addressing privacy-related questions and concerns of members. 

Q: The authorization seems so general - what am I consenting to?

A: The authorization is intended as a general consent form that authorizes HEB Manitoba to collect, use, retain and disclose personal information about you as necessary to administer the pension and benefits plans, and in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws.

For example, HEB Manitoba uses your personal information to:

  • Ensure that you are enrolled in the plans you selected,
  • Verify premiums and contributions with your employer,
  • Mail information regarding plan changes to you, 
  • Process benefits upon termination or retirement,
  • Administer Disability & Rehabilitation (D&R) Benefits, and 
  • Report pension and D&R payments to the Canada Revenue Agency for income tax purposes.

It also may be necessary for HEB Manitoba to collect personal information from and provide personal information to individuals and organizations acting on our behalf. These individuals and organizations are required to protect members' information in accordance with applicable privacy legislation. The following are some examples:

  • The Healthcare Employees' Pension Plan (HEPP) and the Healthcare Employees' Benefits Plan (HEBP) are separate and distinct organizations - a pension plan and a benefits plan. The general authorization will allow information to be shared between the Plans to provide you with seamless service.
  • Actuaries are hired to perform actuarial valuations on the Plans. To perform their work, they need access to the HEB Manitoba database. 
  • Manitoba Blue Cross is contracted to administer the HEB Manitoba Healthcare and Dental Plans, so they collect information on HEB Manitoba's behalf to support members' claims. 
  • The Canada Life Assurance Company is contracted to administer the HEB Manitoba Life Insurance Plan.

Should HEB Manitoba need to use or disclose your information for purposes which are not related to administering the plans, or require information from another party such as a physician or healthcare provider, we will explain the purpose to you and obtain your consent in advance. Only in exceptional circumstances will HEB Manitoba disclose your information without your consent. For example, when medical, legal or security reasons make it impossible or impractical to obtain your consent. 

Personal Health Information

Q: What personal health information do you collect?

A: HEB Manitoba may require personal health information from you in order to administer the Pension and Benefit Plans, including such things as your medical conditions, test results, medical treatments and prescriptions. We require more detailed health information about members receiving D&R Benefits than those members who do not have a disability claim.

The following examples illustrate how personal health information relates to administering the Plans:

  • Manitoba Blue Cross reimburses you for claims related to health services and dental procedures. 
  • Eligible disabled members may accrue pension service and maintain coverage under the Life, Dental and Healthcare Plans, without payment. To confirm eligibility for disability pension or benefits, specific consents will be obtained. 
  • Should a member wish to change the level of their Life Insurance coverage, evidence of good health may be required.
  • A death certificate must be obtained to process Life Insurance benefits. Additional personal health information is required to substantiate accidental death and dismemberment insurance.

HEB Manitoba obtains specific consents from members when personal health information is required, in addition to the general authorization discussed above. For example, when a member applies for D&R Benefits, they are asked to sign specific consent forms. Details are provided about what information will be required from the member, their physician(s) and their employer. Only health information necessary for the claims process is collected.

Q: Is personal health information shared with employers?

A: No. Employers are not provided with any personal health information about members. The only exception to this may be when a member is participating in a Return to Work or Approved Rehabilitation Program with the HEB Manitoba D&R Plan. In this case, information will only be released to the employer with the member's signed consent on a specific consent form.

Signing the General Authorization Form/Obtaining Another Form  

Q: What will happen if I don't sign the general authorization form?

A: If you do not submit your authorization form to HEB Manitoba, it may interfere with the administration of benefits and/or services, including our ability to determine whether you are entitled to receive benefits; however, HEB Manitoba will evaluate options for maintaining your privacy and providing services.

We hope that with this additional information, you will be comfortable signing the general authorization form. This will allow us to have a written record of your consent and will help us to provide you with seamless service and timely information. The form is intended to formalize the manner in which we have always used your information to administer your pension and benefits.

Q: Can I limit my consent?

A: You may withdraw all or part of your consent at any time in writing, in which case HEB Manitoba will evaluate options for providing services while maintaining your privacy. However, withholding consent may interfere with the administration of benefits and/or services, including our ability to determine whether you are entitled to receive benefits.

Signing the general authorization form will allow us to have a written record of your consent and will help us to provide you with seamless service and timely information. The form is intended to formalize the manner in which we use your information to administer your pension and benefits.

Q: If my form was accidentally damaged, misplaced or discarded, can another form be sent to me?

A: Yes. Please contact a Benefits Administrator at HEB Manitoba to request a new copy.

Q: Can I fax my completed form to HEB Manitoba?

A: HEB Manitoba prefers to receive the original form, so the form can be scanned and registered automatically into our system; however, we can manually register forms that are faxed to us.

Q: I am terminating or retiring - is it necessary to sign the general authorization form?

A: Yes. HEB Manitoba will still require your consent to process your termination/retirement, and to retain necessary information for post termination/retirement benefits administration.

© 2023 HEB Manitoba


Disclaimer - This website provides a basic overview of the Healthcare Employees' Pension Plan (HEPP) and the Healthcare Employees' Benefits Plan (HEBP) (collectively the HEB Manitoba Pension and Benefit Plans). Not all employers participate in all Plans. Please check your eligibility for benefits with your employer.

HEB Manitoba is a name notation registered by the Healthcare Employees’ Pension Plan – Manitoba and the Healthcare Employees’ Benefits Plan – Manitoba and under which each of their respective undertakings is carried out.

The information on this website is for convenience of reference only and has no official sanction. View our full disclaimer here.